Monday, January 11, 2010

I forgot I was a painter

One of my goals for the new year is to work on my talents. It has been 10+ years since I have done any painting. I watercolor because my mother watercolors. I tried oil painting in high school and didn't like it. Too messy, too smelly, and it takes too long to dry. Plus, I've been watercoloring all my life. Be forewarned! I am not as good as I used to be. Rusty, would be the word. And I definitely need new paint. It's all a little crumbly. I was lucky to even find my pallet. All my paintbrushes seem to have disappeared. I picked an oil painting by Claude Monet to copy as my first practice piece. First, the original (not a very clear copy).


Sailboats on the Seine, 1874


I already know that oil doesn't translate well to watercolor. It also doesn't help that the picture I was looking at was 2 inches wide. I'm not making excuses. I already told told you this was practice.





Some parts were looking overworked, so I stopped. After some more practice I want to take my stuff out on location. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT job, Nats! That's way better than I could ever do, and that was just your first stab. I'm jeal.

    ReplyDelete