Thursday, October 10, 2013

One Year

One year ago today my family received devastating news. A year ago Dad was given 9-12 months to live. In January we were told that the cancer had spread to his brain. Two weeks later he was gone. It happened much faster than we thought it would. We had less than 4 months.

I came across this draft of a post I never finished. It doesn't express the loss I have felt over the past 8 months, but it does demonstrate my love and faith.

 
 Saying goodbye.

"10/17/12
I've had a week to digest the news. It's slowly leaking out. It is just as hard telling someone as it was the first time. Well, maybe not the first time because the first time was my sister, but the second.

Dad's doctors have tried 4 different chemotherapy drugs over the course of the past little over a year. There is nothing left to try. Bladder cancer cells grow and spread extremely fast. The specter of death has been behind the scenes for a year and a half. Now it is the elephant in the room. The unwanted guest that won't leave.

As we prepare ourselves for this new eventuality, our family is growing even closer (is that possible?). We've cried together. We've cried alone. We've prayed together. We've prayed alone. I'm grateful for the comforting spirit of the Holy Ghost. I know we are an eternal family. I know that we will be together again. This is certainly the hardest thing I've ever had to go through.

Why am I sharing something so personal? I started this blog to post about things that inspire and motivate me. Projects, recipes, shop updates, other artists, trips, places I've seen. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who reads my blog, and that's okay. I've never been very good at expressing myself through writing, so blogging is a good exercise for me.

My dad is an amazing example to me. I'm so lucky to be his daughter."
I love you Daddy.

3 comments:

  1. I used to drive by and try to grasp the depth of pain, love, and faith in your house during that still unbelievable time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete