Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter EGG-stravaganza


As a little girl, my mom always wanted to find one of these fluffy chicks in her Easter basket, but the Easter Bunny never brought one. Since I wasn't able to make Valentines for my family I decided that I would do a little something for Easter.

It all started with these bunnies. I had the polymer clay already and just needed the eye pins.

I opted to forgo the glitter. And while they are supposed to be egg shaped, mine turned out looking more like torpedoes. Her tutorial is really great! And at the bottom is a link to these carrots:

SUPER cute! Right? I had to make these too. And since I had already purchased the eye pins for hanging all I needed to complete the carrots was the florist tape used to make the leaves.

Again, I chose not to mess with the glitter.

All these Easter things needed something to go in. So I researched and found a tutorial for weaving your very own baskets out of brown paper grocery sacks. The instructions are easy to follow. How hard could it be? The first basket took me over 2 hours to weave. By the time I got to the last basket I had cut my time to just over an hour.

A tiny bunny and a little carrot were not enough to fill these baskets so my next brilliant idea was to hollow out egg shells and decorate them.

Let me just say that chalkboard painting delicate egg shells is a lot harder than you would think it would be. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how they turned out. (So did the recipients).
 Next I tried Mod Podge. Also extremely challenging and MESSY.



Painting was the easiest, except for the baseball pattern I attempted.

You would think that I had done enough by this point, but I still felt like the baskets needed something else.
I picked out some fabrics that coordinated with the items I'd already made and sketched out a simple bunny silhouette. Snip snip with the pinking shears and instant bunny plush!

Here are the assembled baskets before I wrapped them in cellophane. One for my mom, my sister, my brother, and my grandma. I don't think my brother was exactly thrilled with all the handmade cuteness, but he got EXTRA Reece's Peanut Butter Eggs in his basket to compensate. 

These turned out to be a much bigger project than I originally envisioned, but the work spread out over 3 weeks made it not too bad. And the reactions made the effort all worthwhile. 

I hope everyone had a happy Easter. Ours was a little bittersweet. I have never been more grateful to my Savior for the gift of the Atonement and Resurrection than I am this year. It was wonderful to be surrounded by loving family.

I didn't end up baking any eggs to color. I made breakfast eggs and blueberry muffins instead. Nothing better than a weekend full of good food and love!





















No comments:

Post a Comment