Monday, August 13, 2012

They're Over


I'm going through Olympics withdrawals. I watched more coverage of the games than I ever have before. Some of the events seem ridiculous to me, but I can appreciate the honor it is for these individuals to represent their countries. I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed more than a few tears over the course of the past few weeks. So many inspirational stories and journeys.


One of the most inspiring is Oscar Pistorius. If you don't know who he is you must have been living under a rock. His outlook and attitude towards life and hardship put things into perspective. "My mother used to tell us in the mornings, 'Carl put on your shoes, Oscar you put on your prosthetic legs . . . So I grew up not really thinking I had a disability. I grew up thinking I had different shoes."

His sporting motto is: "You're not disabled by the disabilities you have, you are able by the abilities you have." I LOVE this quote.

The Olympics are more than a sporting event. They are human stories about dreams coming true. I can hardly wait for 2014 in Sochi, Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment